Thursday, September 9, 2010

App x 250,000 = Too Much

Call me old-fashioned, but I'm still turning to my laptop if I want to get information from Wikipedia, look up a word on Dictionary.com, or shop on eBay.

I have recently deleted my Wikipedia, Dictionary.com, and eBay apps from my Blackberry. Yes, it may have to do with the memory getting low, etc., but I am determined to erase pointless apps from my life.

Are you?

On August 28, Fortune.CNN.com published a strictly informational article on the App store reaching 250,000 apps after being open for a little over two years. As always with the online space, I wonder "is it too much?" How much "stuff" to we truly need to do with our phones?

It reminds me of college friends who have announced, "My phone only makes calls and texts and that is all I need it to do" then being forced into buying a data plan when they need a new phone. They just don't want it. And I understand.

If an app on my phone is going to hinder my ability to make calls, send texts, and/or receive email, then I don't need it. I truly don't. I am limiting my app craze to my email service, a GPS, the weather, and an RSS feed app (along with Facebook and Twitter of course).

And I really think those are enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is open to comments, but please be respectful.