Thursday, October 8, 2009

Your phone is old

I was looking at my phone at work the other day and was told alarmingly by a coworker that, “I have an old phone.”

I said, “It’s really not that old. Maybe two years…”

“Is it that one that slides one way and the other way? Yeah, that’s old. I have the iPhone.”

The iPhone craze, as mentioned, is not close to being over. I can’t personally afford one that would have enough gigs to suit me, at the moment. But, I did get an iPod Touch this summer, and can understand what the iPhone and “app” craze is about. It is nice technology.

However, you must all face the fact that the phone you are using is old, even if you just bought it. The lifetime of cell phones, and I don’t mean battery life, is outrageously low. You may buy the “new” Blackberry Storm last year, but the Storm II is coming out on October 14th. That is less than a year to update a particular model of a phone, while you still have the Blackberry Tour, Pearl, Bold, and Curve models to compete with.

You had to know that even Blackberry would have to change its look to keep up with everyone else.

The iPhone threw a huge curve ball into the cell phone market, and immediately touch screens were everywhere. But, I have my bones to pick with touch screens. The Storm has reportedly had many problems with its touch screen technology, where the Storm II is set out to fix these problems. I’m just a fan of being able to use my phone without looking at it, sadly. I don’t want to search for where to touch. I’m just conditioned that way, and maybe I could be conditioned with a touch screen. After all, that is where technology seems to be heading.

But my main issue with buying a “new” phone is that it will be old within a few days, and that is just the way it is going to be. In my humble opinion, why not wait a few more days…see what the world of technology has to offer?

People used to think they couldn’t keep up with technology. “Oh, a cell phone with a camera, what will they think of next?!” They’ll think of something smaller and better, but chances are, they’ve already thought of it.

MSNBC.com ran an article about cell phone market life in February. According to the article, this is just a phase in the U.S. Replacement frequency in places like Japan has since dropped and phones are not changing for periods of a few years.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29258026/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets/

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is open to comments, but please be respectful.